Read Blue Champagne by John Varley Free Online
Book Title: Blue Champagne|
The author of the book: John Varley
Date of issue: November 1st 1988
ISBN 13: 9780425093368
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 24.89 MB
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 1849 times
Reader ratings: 6.7
Read full description of the books:
Reread of one of Varley's key collections (are any of them non-key?). Note overlap with "The John Varley Reader," TOC http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?6...
• The Pusher • (1981) • short story. 4.5 stars. Starship crewman devises a unique stratagem to maintain contact with his homeworld after relativistic time distortion: story-telling! 4.5 stars. Won the Hugo & Locus awards.
• Blue Champagne • [Anna-Louise Bach] • (1981) • novella. Swimming with a superstar! on an orbital resort. Much better story than I recalled: 4.5 stars. Introduces both Anna Louise Bach (later a lunar cop) and Megan Galloway, the superstar. Galloway develops into a surprisingly sympathetic character, here & in the following story.
• Tango Charlie and Foxtrot Romeo • [Anna-Louise Bach] • (1986) • novella. Young girl and her doggies, trapped on a doomed space station. Tugs the heart-strings, it does. 4+ stars
• Options • [Eight Worlds] • (1979) • novelette. Cleo decides on her first sex-change! 3.5 stars? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_W...
• Lollipop and the Tar Baby • [Eight Worlds] • (1977) • novelette. 5 stars, one of the strongest of the 8 Worlds stories. A young clone of a hole-hunter finds out that black holes can talk. This one has some very unpleasant news. Jo Walton's take: https://www.tor.com/2010/03/12/john-v...
• The Manhattan Phone Book (Abridged) • (1984) • short story. 2-star (or less), a sad (in both senses) after-the-nukes story. Original here, and no wonder.
• The Unprocessed Word • (1986) • short story. Eh.
• Press Enter ▮ • (1984) • novella. Won the Hugo, Nebula and other awards. One of his most famous stories. A rogue computer starts murdering people. The technology hasn't aged well, but it's still a compelling story. Lisa the Vietnamese-American hacker! Victor Apfel, the damaged Korean war vet. 3.5 stars
In the late 1970s and early 80s, John Varley wrote a series of stories (and one short novel, his first) on the Eight Worlds, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_W... , which will likely be his enduring literary legacy. He's better at writing short fiction than novels. There are places where his vision has dated a bit (computer and video tapes are still ubiquitous) but you will barely notice.
Jo Walton's thoughts are always worth reading, https://www.tor.com/2010/03/12/john-v...
Download Blue Champagne ERUB
Download Blue Champagne DOC
Download Blue Champagne TXT
Read information about the authorFull name: John Herbert Varley.
John Varley was born in Austin, Texas. He grew up in Fort Worth, Texas, moved to Port Arthur in 1957, and graduated from Nederland High School. He went to Michigan State University.
He has written several novels and numerous short stories.He has received both the Hugo and Nebula awards.
Reviews of the Blue Champagne
Add a comment
Download EBOOK Blue Champagne by John Varley Online free